When I was new to essential oils, something that I learned really quickly was that there is a BIG (really important) difference between the types of Essential Oils. For all I knew, oils were oils, and even though I knew about lavender scented products in the grocery store, I had no idea about the possibilities of transforming my health, naturally, with Essential Oils. All Young Living Essentials Oils are therapeutic grade and Earth Kosher-Certified. That means care has been given to every single drop, to ensure that the medicinal properties have been retained.
There are 4 Grades of Essential Oils:
- Grade A oils are pure therapeutic quality and are usually made from organically grown plants distilled at the proper temperatures using steam distillation.
- Grade B oils are food grade in grocery stores; they may contain synthetics, pesticides, fertilizers, extenders, or carrier oils.
- Grade C oils are perfume grade and may contain the same type of adulterating chemicals as food grade oils. They usually contain solvents which are used to gain a higher yield of oil per harvest. Solvents are normally cancerous.
- Floral Water is a byproduct of the distillation process, a very high quality if it comes from a Grade A distillation process. Accordingly it is of low quality if it comes from poor quality raw materials and or poor distillation processes. It is usually found in skin and hair products.
A WORD ABOUT PURITY
Don’t be fooled! Young Living’s oils are therapeutic and medicinal. They are derived directly from the plant – not in a laboratory – and they are never extended or adulterated with chemicals. Don’t think that you can purchase less expensive essential oils and get the same results.
ADULTERATED OILS AND THEIR DANGERS
Today, much of the lavender oil sold in the world is a hybrid called lavandin, which is cut with chemicals to improve the fragrance. Then solvents are added and it is sold as lavender oil. Most consumers don’t know the difference, and are happy to buy it for $3 to $10 per half ounce in health food stores, beauty salons, grocery and department stores, and through mail order.
Some people wonder why they do not get the benefit they expected and conclude that essential oils do not have much value. Most likely, they purchased either a synthetic or adulterated oils. Adulterated and mislabeled essential oils present dangers for consumers. One woman who had heard of the ability of lavender oil to heal burns used “lavender oil” purchased from a local health food store when she spilled boiling water on her arm. But the pain intensified and the burn worsened, so she later complained that lavender oil was worthless for healing burns. When her “lavender” oil was analyzed, it was found to be lavandin, the hybrid lavender that is chemically very different.
Adulterated oils that are cut with synthetic extenders can cause rashes, burning, and skin irritations. Solvents can all cause allergic reactions, besides being devoid of any therapeutic effects. Even so-called “nature identical” essential oils (structured essential oils that have been chemically duplicated using 5 to 15 of the essential oil’s primary chemical compounds in synthetic form) can produce unwanted side effects or toxicities. Isolated compounds may be toxic; however pure essential oils, in most cases, are not. This is because natural essential oils contain hundreds of different compounds, some of which balance and counteract each other’s effects.
Quality does matter – and your health is worth it. I’m available to speak with you about your Young Living products, and to answer questions that you may have.
To your health,
Wilhelmina Wilson, R.H.N.
Founder and President
Simple Easy Fun Wellness Centre Inc.
- Young Living Essential Oils
Wellness Consultant/distributor #2362181
- Registered Holistic Nutritionist
- Hippocrates Certified Health Educator
- Kito Biosonic Sound Therapy
- Raindrop Technique
- Raw Food Chef
- Wellness Retreats